Tuesday 7 January 2014

Intuitive Windows Error message #1

Intuitive Microsoft Windows 7 error message #1
Working on my laptop this morning I discover an issue with VMware Workstation 9 having uninstalled without any prompting from me.  Whats odd is that my laptop was disconnected from power and in sleep mode when this uninstall occurred as starting up VMware was the first activity attempted this morning and the application was no longer available.

No problem because our trusty corporate software share is where I found the installer yesterday and can find the installer for the second time, or can I……


Descriptive Microsoft error message….
Error clearly shows I have an existing drive mapping to Y: and as its already in use I can’t ‘double click’ and access the Y: drive.
This is of course 100% accurate, I do want to open the Y: and run the installer? Hang on a minute? This message tells me I can’t open the Y: drive because the device name is in use already?  

Existing drive mappings:
Drive mappings show that Y: is present but disconnected



Mikes takeaway:
Don’t believe everything that you read in an error message. At best its useful and at worst misleading :-)

No comments: